Monday, August 19, 2013

Funny Stories - 7/15/13

Well I have a time limit today which is stressing me out, but i'll try to tell you about this week and what all went down.

I had some interesting adventures this week. We had zone training on Tuesday and Sister Wilson and I sang There is A green Hill far away. It was cool. Then we got pulled out of the meting and this lady named K had walked in, looking for a church and for some gas money. We thought she wouldn't really be interested, but we've visited her several times and she is a promising investigator. She told us some crazy stories about herself like she woke up in a coffin and pushed it open and said "I don't mean to scare nobody, but I'm alive." She can't read, and she and her husband live in a camper trailer in a rundown trailer park. Not a trailer house, a literal camper trailer.We visited her and taught her, then she asked us to come to the sketchy Laundromat and meet her husband who just got out of prison. So we did, and we answered a lot of his questions like "do you really believe that black people are the devil?" no, no we do not. lol. We taught them the first lesson and about the Atonement and he was touched when we told him he could hold the Priesthood power. It was a great lesson.
Lame panorama of Super Bessemer Highway, the main road in Bessemer.

We had another awesome lesson yesterday with the AP security guys who served Spanish speaking missions. They translated for us, and the two guys we were teaching were ready to be baptized in the first lesson. So that was cool. We found out that one of them, G, is getting baptized this week!

Some funny stories from this week... the churches here are named some weird stuff. One we've seen is called "Love Conquers All Ministry" and another one down the street is "The World Overcomers Christian Church." Then another one we saw is "The Peoples Church--Let's Just Praise the Lord." That's literally the title of the church. Kinda made me think of when Jesus is speaking to the people in 3 Nephi 27:7-8 "Therefore, whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name; therefore ye shall call the church in my name; and ye shall call upon the Father in my name that he will bless the church for my sake.
 And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel."

Technically we aren't supposed to take pictures of the signs... but there was no one around.. and this one was too good to pass up!

Another funny story: a few weeks ago, Sister Wilson and I were in Wal-Mart getting some stuff. This 15-year-old boy with a shaved head and crocs comes up to us and says, pointing to our nametags, "So I see you work for Jesus." We're like "Yes, yes we do." then he's like "Okay, tell me who the first people on the earth were." I said "Adam and Eve." And he's like "actually no, you're wrong." he proceeded to tell us how the Bible says that other people were on the earth before Adam and Eve, so we asked him to show us where in the Bible, and he's like "I'll come to your church one day and show you." Okay... lol. Some people just want to prove you wrong! We still laugh about that one.

pretty pictures of the ghetto in Bessemer :)




Another weird moment from this week: while out teaching some lessons, we saw a boy pointing his gun up into a tree. He shot it, and out falls a little squirrel!! We wanted to cry. It was squirming on the ground, he put his gun directly onto its stomach and shot again. Can I just say gross? We freaked out. Yes, we are in Alabama where every little boy has a gun and shoots squirrels out of a tree for fun.

We taught a less-active member about family history work this week, too. the spirit was strong as we taught about it, and a lady who had come with us said "well sometimes you don't want to do family history work!! I found out that my grandma divorced her husband and married her step-son! I was like 'Grandma, what were you doing?!'" Spirit gone. But sooo funny.

Milking a cow!
Anyway, there's one other one but I'll tell ya next week. Today was fun! We went over to the D-----'s and milked the cow! So fun. They gave us fresh raw milk and eggs again, and then we've been hanging out with Sister W. She taught us how to make biscuits, cornbread, etc, and then we went to a quilting club with some of the older ladies in the ward. Boy, did we have a southern spread. lol. I AM in Alabama, and when in Alabama, do as the Alabamians do. It's been an interesting experience.
Brother D----- and his cows.
his farm.
Quilting club with the girls :)
These ladies know how to cook!
Sorry I didn't have time to write back to your email mom. Today was cut a little short, so I'll write you a letter soon.

Love you all!

Sister Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment